15 Days To Freedom Blog Challenge

15 Days To Freedom Blog Challenge - Day 10 - Taking Time Off

07:38

Two weeks ago I took a rare week off and went on holiday! That may seem very normal for most folks, but as I was sitting on the plan jetting off to Portugal with my boyfriend, I realised I hadn't taken a whole week off to go abroad for at least 3 years! Was this the right thing for me to be doing!? Would my business fall apart if I took time off!?

To Laptop or to not!

During the build up to the holiday I had a dilemma raging through my head - to take my laptop or not! I am not sure if any other business owners have this dilemma as well -  but let me know if you do.
It may seem bizarre but my laptop is such a huge part of my life and my business, that just the thought of being apart from it for a whole week started to give me palpitations!  That is not healthy! I clearly needed a break!

So I took the hard decision to put an out office on and leave it behind. I also thought if I am going cold turkey with the laptop, I should leave the bakery phone behind as well.  But how would I cope!

The view 

Stepping out onto our hotel balcony and taking in the view and the sunshine, I knew I had done the right thing by leaving the business technology at home. Just being in the beautiful Portuguese hills for a week was a fantastic experience. It allowed me to reconnect with myself, and spend some quality time away from Vanilla Pod HQ, and as a bonus the sunshine did wonders for my M.E.  That is not to say, I didn't think about the business....






Growing Vanilla Pod

... I always think about the business, I suppose it is like a loved one, you always think about them but you don't have to be with them 24/7.

But anyway, the hotel we stayed in was amazing and that is what got me thinking....

I am constantly developing ways in which to grow Vanilla Pod and I absolutely love helping people and I would ultimately love to marry the two.  The Vanilla Pod Bakery currently has two key areas to the business - Wedding Cakes and Hen Parties - and two areas which are under development Corporate Gifts and VPB Consultancy. The reason the hotel got me thinking, was as part of the consultancy area of business,  I would love to develop a 5 day retreat/mastermind for business owners. Whether it is for start-up businesses, or baking/decorating retreats, or to help businesses that are 3 - 4 years into their journey facing a cross road situations, I haven't yet figured that out.  But within the next three years I would love to have something like this actioned, and staying in the hotel in Portugal  made me realise it would be the absolute perfect place for my dream to be realised. So watch this space! It would also be great to hear from you if this is the type of event would be of interest?



Importance of taking time off

So this holiday as made me realise that as a small business owner it is so, so, important to take more than a couple of days off at a time, during the year.  You really do need to switch off and live in the moment every once in a while. It gives you clarity on yourself and towards your business.  I have come back feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world. I have even scheduled another week off in September! I am determined to look after my health and business this year, and I want 2015 to become my best year yet.

My 6 Top Tip's For Taking Time Off From You Business:

  1. Switch your email out of office on - let people know you will not have access to your emails until x time.
  2. Record a voicemail greeting letting people know you are unavailable of x amount of days.
  3. Leave the laptop /phone at home.
  4. Take a notepad and paper - just incase ideas spring into your mind and you need to jot them down for reference when you get back home.
  5. Schedule a day or two when you get back from holiday to get back into the swing of things, unpack, do the washing, etc,  then go live to the public.
  6. But ultimately remember to relax, enjoy the view and take a selfie!



Selfie time with the boyfriend on the beach!

Best wishes,

Pia x





You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE






Like us on Facebook